Wednesday 22 December 2021

Resettling

 https://www.npr.org/2021/12/20/1064510598/afghanistan-music-institute-taliban-doha-portugal

 The story of the Kabul Conservatory students touches my heart. A couple of years ago, the conservatory was looking for a violin teacher, and I wrote to volunteer my services. But a few days after I sent the email, there was a bomb placed at the doorway of the school, and my application went unanswered.

But there is another reason why this story touches me. Over the past three years, four of my students, children of Eritrean refugees, have relocated abroad. In Sweden, Canada and Britain, these children and their mothers received refugee status and a path toward stability and acceptance, something denied them here by the government of Israel. For two of those students, I was able to arrange violin lessons in the Swedish town where they were resettled. Shortly after Betto and Yerus arrived in Oxelösund, Sweden, they received a call from the Oxelösund Conservatory inviting them to continue their violin studies. A strange country, a strange language, a land of endless sunshine and endless darkness - but one thing familiar - music. I spoke to them on Whatsapp after a few months, and they were already feeling at home.


Yerus playing "The Hiccup Song"

No comments:

Post a Comment